Yeah, I know Emacs sucks. But I like it.
I like this GNU Emacs for Mac OS X more than Aquamacs. I hate the OSX-ized experience of Aquamacs and I dumped it this morning.
In order to make Emacs works for me, I have to (heavily) customize it. My ~/.emacs grew to 41 lines and still counting.
List of customizations:
- Latest version of org-mode from package.el
- Turn off truncation of long lines for org-mode
- Octave-mode instead of Matlab mode
- Python-mode instead of python.el
- ESS - Emacs Speaks Statistics
- Color-theme, my favorite theme is clarity
- Default font to Monaco 18
- No blinking cursor
- Paren-mode to 1
- Not strictly Emacs customization - remapping the useless Caps-lock key on my MacBook keyboard to Ctrl. So that I can C-x C-f without moving my fingers away from the home row.
- Practicing touch typing